I started the chronological plan again and it feels good to be back in the Old Testament. I can actually read long passages without feeling like I'm missing some huge biblical truth. Genesis and Job are great history/narrative books so I think I can actually catch up by reading big chunks of passages each day. I'm sure I will be commenting on my reading so if you want to join me in reading the bible through chronologically this year you can print off the plan I'm using here. Don't be intimidated that you are starting late. Don't let the dates get you all crazy. I just finished Job, so technically I am only on Jan 15th.
Speaking of Job...oh.my.word. I must have rushed through it last year (I am always behind). I don't remember it being this good. I mean the whole bible is good right (sheepish giggle)? I just enjoy some parts more than others and Job has never been up there on the "I need encouragement, I'm going to read Job today" list. But as I read eight days worth of Job today...yes eight, I was struck by the foreshadowing, or maybe it's prophecy (eek!). I don't really know what you call it, but Job speaks about the need for an arbitrator, a mediator, a redeemer.
He is not a man like me that I might answer Him, that we might confront each other in court. If only there were someone to arbitrated between us, to lay his hands upon us both, someone to remove God's rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more. Then I would speak up without fear of Him, but as it now stands with me I cannot. Job 9:32-35
*
Surely then you will count my steps but not keep track of my sin. My offenses will be sealed up in a bag; you will cover over my sin. Job 14:16-17
*
Give me, O God, the pledge you demand. Who else will put up security for me? Job 17:3
*
I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25
*
"Yet if there is an angel on his side as a mediator, one out of a thousand, to tell a man what is right for him, to be gracious to him and say, 'Spare him from going down to the pit; I have found a ransom for him'-then...He prays to God and finds favor with him, he sees God's face and shouts for joy; he is restored by God to his righteous state. Job 33:23
It begins with knowing how much we need Him. We are a mess without Him. In the beginning of this reading plan I am struck again at the magnitude of what He has saved me from. He has saved me from the pit. He has redeemed me...paid for my sins with His blood. He holds none of my sins against me. He has answered His own demand of righteousness in me by putting up as a pledge His own life. He has removed His own rod (punishment) from me...the well deserved rod I might add.
So in Job we have the question...who will save us? Who can take away such guilt? Only God can meet God's demands. The answer is coming...it's on the way. Do you mind if I spoil the ending for you? It's Jesus. He is the answer to my need for an arbitrator between me and God. He is the answer to meeting God's demands because He is God. He is the answer.
I hope you'll join me on this adventure of reading the bible through this year. Who knows what wonderful observations we will make together. If you are joining us, let us know. If you are all caught up to February 8th, don't judge us. :) Let us know how it's going. This is going to be fun!
Love from the islands,
Twyla
Love from the islands,
Twyla
Thanks! enjoyed this.
ReplyDelete