...take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. Phil 3:17
I love "taking note" of my friends that are walking with Jesus. I love watching how they interact with their children, express their creativity or serve selflessly. When I observe these small acts of righteousness it enlarges my capacity to do the same. It fills me with motivation and desire to up my game, concentrate my efforts or take a risk.
Recently we added a habit to our daily routines that I first saw lived out by some friends of mine. Louie and I gave the kids journals this new year and asked them to write at least one sentence in it every day. That sentence, however, has just one guideline. We asked them to write down what they think Jesus is saying to them. Ha! That's no small undertaking. Just write one sentence a day that the Creator of the universe is communicating to you. At first glance this request may seem extreme. But I have seen fruit in Chloe and Sam's lives of the Spirit living in them. We desire to give them practice in listening to Him. They spend time with Jesus. They have devotion books that they are going through but when we ask them about their "quiet times" they basically repeat whatever they read in their devotions. That isn't a bad thing, it's just that our desire is that they would realize that there is much more going on than "let me check off my list that I have read my devotion." Jesus wants to speak to them personally.
Jesus has promised to each of us who believe that He has given us His Spirit. He calls to us, "Listen, listen to me and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live." (Is 55) He is our greatest treasure and hearing His voice each day feeds my soul. I want that for my kiddos. I want that for all who know Him.
I'm so grateful for my friends who live according to the pattern of Jesus. They are an example that propels me to be more like Him. What about you? Have you added something to your life that you have seen in a friend? Share it with us!
Love from the islands,
Twyla:)
I love the journal idea! We just may add this.
ReplyDeleteAs for sharing, I learned several years ago from a friend that when it comes to our kiddos and discipline, it is easy to focus on the negative or on only what they do wrong. So, for every, correction or constructive criticism I give, I need to share 3 positive things or praises. My love language is words of affirmation, so I know how encouraging those positive words are. They can make me sore to new heights! I have found this principle to be crucial during the teen years. They need to be praised when they make good choices 'cause sometimes, it's not easy. :)
Rachel, I love that idea! Do you give them 3 positive things right when you correct them or later throughout the day? I want a better idea of how this plays out in daily life. Good word!
Delete