"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double edged-sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)
Isn't it amazing that we have access to the Word of God? What a blessing and a treasure. Sometimes in the mornings I will just sit with the Bible in my hand and look at it. What joy fills my soul as I think that I am about to read God's words to me for today. Many mornings I am brought to tears as I drink my coffee and think of the wonderful privilege that is mine to have the entire word of God at my finger tips.
What will you say today, Jesus? What promise do you have for me? What needs changing? What warning do you have for me? These are all whispered prayers that escape my lips as I hold my worn, taped up little NIV.
It's exciting to think about meeting Jesus everyday in His Word. We can be assured that He WILL speak each and everyday. Yes, there are dry times that inevitably come along. But even in those times I can look back at my journal and see that He just kept repeating a word to me until I obeyed it. What I thought was a dry time was really just Jesus waiting on me to move with Him.
One morning when Chloe and Sam were four and two, I read Psalm 118. When I read this encouraging Psalm, my heart began to feel that the Lord was really warning me to take courage for that day. I sensed that something difficult would happen soon.
5 In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free.
6 The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
7 The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies.
8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.The Psalm goes on and on about the Lord's help, strength and salvation. There are shouts of joy and victory because the Lord has brought the Psalmist through a difficult battle with his enemies. And then there is:
17 I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done.
Louie was laid off work that day from a job he had had for seventeen years. When Louie called me to tell me, I was not crushed or even fearful. I was actually excited. What was God doing? What did he have in store for us? I felt in my spirit that Jesus was paving the way for us to finally go overseas, and "proclaim what the Lord has done." The Lord had not only prepared me for the news but had instilled in me a sense of joy and expectation. That was two years before Louie got on the plane to Southeast Asia to work in the tsunami zone. Praise Him!
"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103)
Love from the islands,
Twyla
No comments:
Post a Comment