Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day Sixteen: Spiritual Disciplines

This morning I have been thinking about spiritual disciplines. Is that supposed to be capitalized? Spiritual Disciplines...in my imagination they are capitalized because they seem so stern and adult-like. I've been afraid of "Spiritual Disciplines" (said in a loud deep voice). The words conjure up visions of crazy-eyed priests beating themselves with whips. I have an active imagination. I'm fairly certain I have lost track of what they truly are and what their purpose is in the believer's life.

Don't get me wrong. I do know something about them. I'm a freed legalist, so I have studied them and tried to follow them much of my life. But they were a list of rules to follow.  If I fast, am silent (Ha!), study, confess, etc, etc...I will be...what will I be?...good?...accepted?...mature?

January is the "discipline" month, right? Isn't this the month we get back on the wagon in regard to eating, exercise, finances, Bible reading plans...Maybe that's why I am thinking about Spiritual Disciplines. I do know that there is something about them that draws me. What is it?

I want to be like Jesus. I want to know Him more and I know that the true goal of Spiritual Disciplines is Jesus Himself. So where do I start? The scriptures are a good place. Yesterday I read that Jesus was made perfect through suffering (Heb 2:10). Umm...I'm getting the vision of that crazy priest again. Lord, help! How do I find You through discipline when I am so afraid of suffering?

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matt 11:28:29)


Is the goal to rest in Jesus? Through Spiritual Disciplines will I find that He has a better "yoke" than I can imagine...even with my imagination? I do want to learn from Him. 


I'm going to embark on a quest to find out what Spiritual Disciplines are all about. Do you want to join me? I just got the book, The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg. It's about Spiritual Disciplines and comes highly recommended by many people. Have any of you read it? What are your thoughts? I liked the book review I read about it. It said, "The disciplines are neither taskmasters nor an end in themselves. Rather they are exercises that build strength and endurance for the road of growth."


I like that. Sigh. I can do that. I will take on Jesus' work for me and will learn from Him. I can trust Him.


Love from the islands,
Twyla

1 comment:

  1. Twyla, I love you and your active imagination. Can't wait to hear how the book is--maybe I'll read it next!

    ReplyDelete