"I run in the paths of your commands for you have set my heart free." (Psalm 119:32)
This verse has become, over the years, our family theme. It is what we fall back on whenever we are facing difficult choices and decisions. We first used it to help us make the decision to come to Southeast Asia.
The tsunami of 2004 devastated many parts of Southeast Asia. Louie was glued to the television set that Christmas night of 2004. His heart was torn and broken over the loss of life and physical destruction. But what could we do sitting in Los Angeles? There was a need for immediate action and we were stuck in middle class American life. Three weeks after the tsunami Louie was on a plane to Southeast Asia.
Why? What could possibly motivate a man to pick up and leave like that? Only Jesus can do that. Only following Him with all you have can cause grown people to change their entire lives and redirect all their efforts. In our family we call it, "Chasing Jesus." Whenever there is a call to do something that is beyond ourselves or our ability, we call each other to, "run in the paths of His commands for He has set our hearts free." We want to live in a constant state of gratefulness that causes the hardships or trials of following Him to dim in the presence of His glorious grace in our lives.
"Chasing Jesus," doesn't that sound fun? I imagine playing "Chase" with Jesus. He's laughing and running to broken person after broken person looking to see if we will follow Him in this marvelous adventure. Will we camp on the beach in a broken part of the tsunami devastation? Will we get eaten up by bugs and be taken advantage of by those we trust in the culture? Yes! Because we chase Him. We long to continue on the adventure with Him.
These verses have also set in motion a desire to not "straddle the fence" of obedience. Many times I find myself looking at the other side...you know the "grass is greener," other side. I know Jesus has called me to this side of the fence, but boy, that other side can sure look good. This life of always wanting the other side can be life-draining. If I am lingering at the fence looking at what I want instead of running in His commands I am missing that great adventure of His path. I want to leave the fence and run as far as I can in His commands. Why? Because He has set my heart free.
What waits for me at the end of the path? Jesus! "...set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." I see glimpses of Him and it moves me forward..."Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." (1 Peter 1:8-9, 13)
Do my writings seem like "pie in the sky" sometimes? I worry about that. That you will think I am just an emotional, crazy person. But then verses like the one above remind me that I AM out of my mind and that I do love Him and am filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy. My inadequate words are just the tip of the iceberg of trying to describe what is inexpressible.
Love from the islands,
Twyla
That's a favorite verse of mine, and you just made me like it even more. :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Grammar fist bump for the fact that you correctly wrote "whom" in your "About Me". ;)
Haha! I love you so much, Abbey. And thank you. I'm pretty scared I'm going to use incorrect grammar and punctuation with all this writing. Will you be my editor? If you see any mistakes, let me know. :)
DeleteHaha! No worries--I don't judge when I see incorrect grammar; I just rejoice when I see the good stuff. Just affirming you in your good-grammarness. :)
DeleteThis my friend, is why I love you. You always pursue life and Jesus with all you are.
ReplyDelete